Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Sic-Sac

Dear motion sickness bag,

Thank you for hanging out with me during the first few hours of every flight so far -it is comforting to know that you are there. Though I really appreciate not actually having to use you yet!

Passenger in left front of Rack 1.




"The original Motion Sickness Bag - If an upset stomach is anticipated remove SIC-SAC from this container and keep ready for use. Do not be embarrassed by this precaution as even veteran air travelers are subject to occasional motion sickness."
To use: Roll top of sac over finger tips - Tie knot in top of sac itself or use the attached tie.



This morning I flew Research Flight #8. It was another 3 am take-off flight (still meaning start of a work day at midnight), and we landed 30 minutes after noon. Even though overall it was again a very good flight - I collected some great data - the first few hours were quite rough. First of all, because my computer and data collecting system had some issues: not good! It was actually quite funny, because I learned very quickly that people aboard an airplane very much appreciate it if you refrain from using the statement "my computer crashed". Apparently, you are supposed to say "my computer is down" or anything else but the word "crash" - I guess it makes people flying in an aircraft a little uneasy :)
Mainly though, the flight was rough because like every flight, this one also started out with me being fairly nauseous for the first couple of hours, every now and then bringing out my little sic-sac, and staring at its bottom hoping that something would come out to relieve things. Always nothing. So I go back to my seat and back to work. Miserable.
I have tried various things food and drinks wise to relieve things. Starting from what and how much I eat the day and night before, to what and how much I eat right as I get on board, to drinking lots and drinking little, drinking salty things, sweet things or water - all to no avail. Also, it is so hard to force yourself (as I'm sure many of you morning-sickness-experienced-ladies know!) to eat something while feeling so crappy! But I know it does relieve things - sometimes.
Either way, today I felt extra crappy because turbulence was more intense (also flying extra below and in cloud legs), and I think it might have something to do with the fact that ever since our dinner of mussels and other sea creatures, my intestinal culture has not been the same...if you know what I mean. It also doesn't help that we are flying night missions, so looking out the window to orient myself on the horizon is not an option. So there I sat, in the back of the plane, with my baggy :). One of the pilots came by at some point though, and told me he would come get me as soon as there was some daylight out, so I could come in the cockpit and stare out the windows for a while - that was nice of him :)
But, as with all fairy tales, this story also has a good end. My nausea subsided after about 4 hrs, and happy little scientist I was again. :)


(p.s. I am looking forward to the day missions starting. No more crazy night hours, and a horizon to look at!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Misschien ben ik wel te bezorgd, maar misschien moet je die nachtvluchten maar laten, totdat er weer dagvluchten zijn.
Maar je bent natuurlijk ook een volwassen meid in staat dit zelf te beslissen.
Ik zie het wel helemaal voor me zoals je het beschrijft.
Be careful , love you
mommy.

Anonymous said...

Hey lieve zussie,

Arme meis toch! pff dat valt niet mee!!! vier uur lang misselijk zijn en dan ook nog je werk moeten doen :X
Je maakt er altijd wel weer een mooi verhaal van op je blog hihi misschien maa schrijfster worden als dat vliegen de hele dag een beetje veel wordt :D hihi

Zussie doe voorzichtig en maak 't niet te gek!

sterkte ermee en dikke knuffel,

Lotje

Andy and Megan said...

I am so glad you are halfway there! We are so excited for you to and we can't wait to meet your litte one either!

Andy and Megan said...

P.S. Andy and I flew to California when I was 9 weeks pregnant and I had to not only use 1 sicky bag, but 2!! Glad you haven't yet.

Unknown said...

you crack me up =0) I just love to come and read your posts...continue to take care of you!!!