Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Sunday Mornings

On Sunday morning, the streets of Arica not only smell like urine (*), but they smell like urine, stale beer and sigarette butts - lovely.



Luckily, the ocean never disappoints, and on my walk this morning I watched the waves crash on the rocks, three seals play in the surf and some sea birds diving for fish. Also, apparently for the local population, sunday morning is the time to go sea-fishing. I don't know what they are fishing for, or what type of bait they use, but it was fun to watch:






During research projects, there is no such thing as a weekend, so I better get to work. I'm typing up the flight notes from the 9hr research flight I went on yesterday - more about that at some later point I'm sure!





((*)my theory on this: during the day, the local gardeners (and probably bums and drunk kids at night) pee on the streets, and since it never rains here, it never gets washed off, so it just piles on day after day, baking in the warm tropical afternoon sun - yuck!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello Wiesje !

Wat moet het daar stinken zeg in die straten brrrrrrrrr.
ik kan me voorsdtellen dat je de frisheid van de oceaan opzoekt.
We zullen ekstra aan je denken bij de nachtvlucht, want dat is toch niet niks als je zwanger bent.!!!!
knuffel mams.

Anonymous said...

Dag Zussie,

Hoe is het ermee? hoorde van mamma dat je een nachtvlucht moet doen? pff hoop dat je 't een beetje overleefd... Ik heb m'n eerset dagje er ook weer opzitten! Ben beetje appelig, dus hoop dat ik niet ziek wordt.. :S Morgen krijg ik een rondleiding door de Honig fabriek! LEUK :)

Succes daar zussie, en blijf maar komen met die foto's is leuk :)

hele dikke knuffel,

Lotje