Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Rubens baby - a short lesson in art history.

Rubens was a Flemish (from Belgium) painter that lived in the era of the mid 1500's to mid 1600's. He is very well known for painting roly poly naked people, and roly poly naked angel babies. When I was in high school - about 15 yrs old - two girl friends and I went to Antwerp, with a set of parents along. Of course the only thing that we were thinking at that age was - "we're going to a big city - that means SHOPPING!". But, the stipulation of my friend's wise parents was that we could indeed spend the afternoon shopping, as long as we would visit one museum with them in the morning, so we wouldn't be total culture barbarians. We picked the Rubens museum. To this day I will never forget it - I will always be able to recognize one of his paintings - I have never seen so many paintings of roly poly naked people :). Reason I bring this up, is Andi, of course. She has become a true Rubens baby - she has 5 - five! - rolls on her arms! Her legs are almost too fat for her bumbo seat, and I have trouble submerging her in water because she floats! I love it! :) Rubens, eat your heart out!

In the video below you can hear Andi "Talk" some more, but it also really shows off her Rubens 5 arm rolls :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun! It makes me want a rolly poly baby - Sarah has absolutely 0 rolls. Your little Andi is so sweet - isn't it so fun when babies start to talk?

Cece said...

How precious is your little "Michelen" girl! I love keeping up with this blog!! (It's the best way for me to keep up with Grama & Grampa too!) What fun!! Keep this going! Little Andi is so precious! How I would love to hold her and kiss those klittle fat cheeks of hers! (Silly old Gramas always want to do that!!) Love to all,Grama Cope