Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Outstanding

Most of you remember the *fun* times I had writing my Master's Thesis last year. Eventually though, after many prayers, lots of encouragement from friends and family, and tons of hard work by me and my professor, Dr. Derek Montague, it did get finished, as you know.
Back in January of this year, Derek told me he wanted to try to put up my thesis for nomination of "Most Outstanding Thesis of 2008". These awards are given every year, in 5 catagories (science & engineering, arts, etc.), and best theses are picked based upon quality of the research and writing, but also on the contribution of the research outcome to the state of Wyoming, the country and the world. I would be in the science & engineering category. Derek also told me not to get our hopes up, because we didn't invent something, like likely competitors in engineering.
My application packet included the Thesis, three letters of recommendation (one each from my mentor and two other faculty) my own letter, my resume, and any publications and presentations.

But - haha! We did win! It was such a surprise, and encouragement to both me and my professor, for whom it's also the first time to win this award, and who definately deserves the award as mentor.

Yesterday, the Graduate School hosted a nice luncheon to hand out the awards (other awards included "Outstanding PhD dissertation" and "Outstanding graduate assistant teaching"), and both Ben and Andi came along :)
Presentation of the awards was by Dr. Don Roth, Graduate School Dean, and Dr. Myron Allen, Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
Dr. Myron Allen.
My mentor Derek and I.
The Outstanding Master's Thesis award winners (l.t.r): Me (Atmospheric Science), Jason Burge (Creative Writing), Maggie Renken (Psychology), Asher Albertson (Zoology & Physiology).

My plaque :) (now if only it read Wiesje Bryan - sigh)
Maybe even more fun - besides that plaque, I also won a nice little check, to spend however I please - yay!
I also admit that it is encouragement to me to keep going, and continue for a PhD. As of this week, my maternity leave is coming to an end, and I've been struggling trying to get back. Yes, I really do find aerosols, clouds and climate fascinating, but Andi has most definately become priority, and I find it hard to switch my mind back and forth from changing a diaper/burping/nursing, cuddling and playing back to doing research. I'm gonna give it an honest shot though!



8 comments:

granny carla said...

Geweldig ! wat een opsteker !
wat een beloning na al dit geworstel. Het geeft ook een grote verwachtingen hoop voor je promotie.
Veel heil en zegen toegewenst hiermee mams

The Ennists said...

Weisje congratulations! You are an amazing woman! I know it was a lot lot lot of hard work but I am so proud of you for persevering and doing such a good job of it! Enjoy your new treadmill:-)

The Line of David said...

Congratulations Weisje! What a huge achievement!

Krismisstree said...

Congratulations! Maybe save some $$ for the trip we get to take so our husbands can see StarTrek. :)

I don't know how you do it all!

Proud sister Lotte said...

Wow I'm sitting here as the most proud sister in the world :D

Gefeliciteerd lieve zus! Echt ontzettend knap van je, en gewoon doorgaan (EN DAN LEKKER OP JE EIGEN TEMPO) :)

Hele dikke knuffel,

Lotje

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Wiesje! Wow, we are so proud of you and all of your hard work. We know that you'll do just as good of a job on your doctorate as well! So, you are buying a treadmill? I'm sure you will get some good use out of it!

The Bryans said...

Jo - yeah - I'm hoping to save up enough money to buy a treadmill! But not till later this fall I don't think. With Ben gone at that time, and winter coming it would be nice to have!

LittleWomen21 said...

I've been through that struggle too deciding whether to pursue my career or be a stay at home mom, as you know I compromised and work part time. And I love it. But it's a very personal choice, between you and God. You're right, pray...pray... pray!!!